Re: TextSpanner: Change text at automatic line break?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Re: TextSpanner: Change text at automatic line break?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 10:02:56 +0800

---- On Mon, 21 May 2018 19:12:56 +0800 Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote
----
>   \relative c' {
>     \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = "abc"
>     \override TextSpanner.bound-details.left-broken.text = "foo"
>     c1 \startTextSpan
>     \repeat unfold 20 { c1 }
>     c1\stopTextSpan
>   }
>
> works here. A typo somewhere?

Oh, OK, I see -- I have to set the left-broken details before starting the text
spanner, and those details can't change.

It's possible that I might have a spanner covering three or more systems, where
the text might need to change twice (or more). So I was setting the left-broken
details in the middle, hoping it would take effect at the next system break.
But I guess the object is already created and its properties already
determined, and there's no going back to modify the current instance (not
without Scheme anyway, for which I don't have time, and it doesn't matter if I
notate it this way or another way).

OK, I'll consider another strategy.

Thanks,
James