Re: Rational

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Rational
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 20:40:50 -0500

On 5/23/2018 7:20 PM, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi,

Let's assume that I'm a moron with a room-temperature IQ and, as
our friend Kieran McMullen

I assume you mean me, Kieren MacMillan?

has remarked, "You have no idea what you're talking about."

Could you please remind me where I remarked that?

Thanks,
Kieren.
Possibly this one.

<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-11/msg00641.html>

Or at some other point in the previous November 2016 discussion on this topic. That was the one that really hooked me on the LilyPond community. The one where I saw people at the intersection of music engraving, music theory, computer science, and software development with some of the most highly-advanced programming languages - but NOT noviciacy with Mother Teresa's order, I assume - these people handled a community disruption with a surprising amount of grace and intelligence.

Looks like that was a really happening month for lilypond-user; I see 1,283 posts. It even included a "New Website" discussion. Maybe we should start one of those again too, just for completeness. :)

I did archive the public-Github website design proposal from that discussion, since I thought it was approaching a Platonic ideal of some sort. (Refresh-not-replace, static site, potentially JavaScript-free all CSS, mobile-device-responsive, little disruption to existing infrastructure, etc)

On second thought, I'll only re-start that discussion (not immediately, but in the future) if the people working on the 2.20 release approve, as it would be even further distracting from that goal.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA