Re: Lilypond is not generating a pdf file

From: Brian Barker
Subject: Re: Lilypond is not generating a pdf file
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 17:13:43 +0100

At 06:57 28/05/2018 -0700, Aaron Hill wrote:
At 08:07 27/05/2018 +0000, Peter Horan wrote:
I have previously used Lilypond on an older machine using Vista. This machine is new, running Windows 10. After installation, dropping test.ly onto the Lilypond short cut creates a test.log file but no pdf file as expected. It looks as though Lilypond is silently quitting before drawing everything.

The contents of test.log are:
# -*-compilation-*-
Processing `D:/Peter/Desktop/test.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music...
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Finding the ideal number of pages...
Fitting music on 1 page...
Drawing systems...

The closest similar behavior I have seen to this is when I am trying to regenerate a PDF but that PDF is currently open in another program. Then due to a sharing violation, LilyPond is unable to write to the file.

Indeed so. But, for the avoidance of doubt, when this happens, my Lilypond under Windows 10 shows four more lines in the log file, including one explaining that Ghostscript failed to create the PDF file - and anyway leaves behind the intermediate Postscript file.

Brian Barker