Fixed [was Re: Lilypond is not generating a pdf file]

From: Peter Horan
Subject: Fixed [was Re: Lilypond is not generating a pdf file]
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 14:33:08 +0000

Hi Aaron

> Message: 7
> Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 06:57:28 -0700
> From: Aaron Hill <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Lilypond is not generating a pdf file
>
> On 2018-05-27 01:07, Peter Horan wrote:
> > I have previously used Lilypond on an older machine using Vista.
> >
> > This machine is new, running Windows 10.
> >
> > After installation, dropping test.ly onto the Lilypond short cut
> > creates a test.log file but no pdf file as expected.  It looks as
> > though Lilypond is silently quitting before drawing everything.
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Which version of LilyPond did you install?  Also, if you run "winver",
> what exact build of the OS are you using?

LilyPond v. 2.18.2
Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48)

> The closest similar behavior I have seen to this is when I am trying to
> regenerate a PDF but that PDF is currently open in another program.
> Then due to a sharing violation, LilyPond is unable to write to the
> file.  However, in your case, you are never getting a PDF at all, but
> that could still imply the target folder might be an invalid
> destination.

No file was open.

> NOTE: I never use drag-and-drop method as you mentioned.  LilyPond
> installs a default shell command for .ly files, so you can either just
> double-click them or right-click and select "Generate".  There shouldn't
> really be any major difference in behavior here, but I thought I would
> mention this for completeness.

Now this worked!

I also tried dropping the .ly file onto the actual executable file, and that
also worked. But, where the log file went I don't know.

> If you want to debug further, I might suggest running Process Monitor
> [1] from Sysinternals.  It will capture a lot of data, but you can
> filter it down to just the relevant file I/O.  Most importantly, what
> you are looking for is to see if LilyPond (or one of its child
> processes) is actually attempting to open a PDF for write, and if so
> what error may have occurred.
>
> [1]: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

I have used procmon, so I may investigate if I get time.

Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named
addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or storage
of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email in
error, please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender
by return email or telephone.

Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments are
error or virus free.