Re: handbell shake

From: Rick Kimpel
Subject: Re: handbell shake
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 04:03:56 +0000

From: Thomas Morley <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 10:40 PM
> Hi Rick,
>
> I don't know anything about handbell choir music and which special
> notation-features may be needed.

There are a ton of things I need to do for this library, but this seemed like a
good middle-of-the-road starting point. Other tasks include martellato,
tower swing, marks ()/{}/<> around single notes in a chord, and the dreaded
list of bells at the beginning. I'll be posting looking for help with those at
some point, I'm sure.

> Are there any images you could link to?

Google doesn't have a great selection of handbell music images,
surprisingly. What's the etiquette on scanning something in for educational
purposes? I don't want to get into trouble. Aaron's link is a good starting
point.

> From your coding-attempts, I think you want to mimic the shake with a
> flat trill-style-glissando.
> It's not too hard to get this, but glissando needs a target note-head.
> Meaning a glissando to a rest is impossible (without second voice).
> Also, suspended NoteHeads in a chord may lead to different start-end
> points of simultaneous glissandi.

I have noticed these issues, all right. Also, I found that if I don't explicitly
set up the Staff context, it will put the gliss in its own staff. XD Might
be time for some remedial Lilypond tutorials. (I'm so rusty.)

> All in all it's not far from the problems avantgarde.music using
> continuation-lines has to face.
>
> To circumvent these problems I developed some code for
> continuation-lines, which I stripped down to better fit your needs (as
> far as I understood them)
> It has it's own limitations (see comments), but it may get you started.
[...]

Wow... I won't pretend to understand all of that. I had just gotten as far as
using displayMusic to find out where the glissando even goes. But the
\hideNotes added a whole bunch of transparent properties, making it
hard to figure out.

Your sample works in 2.18, as well. I did notice that the gliss line can
obscure the dot. Interestingly, my workaround  does something that
confuses the dot and puts it above the squiggle. Can't decide if that's the
best way to go, or if I should force the gliss to start after the dot.
bound-details.left.padding would do the trick there.

I couldn't figure out why you had to override the to-barline. Also, your
TODO about that is crazy. I was really surprised by the results of leaving it
out. ?!

Thanks for your help. I'll be playing with it at lunch tomorrow.

Regards,
Rick