Re: \bookparts and scaling (Karlin High)

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: \bookparts and scaling (Karlin High)
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2018 07:11:28 -0700 (MST)

Karlin High wrote
> The effect of that \staffSize function looks slightly different than
> using layout-staff-size. But for me it still shows the same problem: it
> makes things smaller, but doesn't change the layout like
> set-global-staff-size does.

Hi Karlin,

The proposed function \staffSize just basically does what the standard
procedure for changing all font sizes (by \set fontSize) changing
staff-space did before \magnifyStaff came up.

The intention behind it was to create differently-sized (usually smaller)
*single* staves within a score, as for example a piano score with a solo
instrument stave in smaller print.
In this case, it's not a bug at all to not alter the overall spacing, since
the smaller-sized notes, clefs, time signatures, key signatures, etc. have
to be horizontally aligned to the rest of the standard-size staves.
The main staves of the score, so to say, will still determine the overall
spacing, and that ist correct and expected behaviour.

Therefore, we need to differentiate between scaling up/down singular staves
in a score and up-/downscaling a complete score with bag and baggage.

This being said, I agree with you that we need something that lets us create
differently-sized scores within a \bookpart that look as if
#(set-global-staffsize …) was used. Ideally, layout-set-staff-size would be
able to accomplish this, which isn't the case yet and therefore, to me, the
current layout-set-staff-size doesn't make too much sense.

All the proposals made so far actually do scale the staves, but don't get
the overall spacing right (both vertically and horizontally).

All the best,
Torsten