Re: dotted semicircle indicating harmonics

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: dotted semicircle indicating harmonics
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 09:36:36 +0200

> Hi Sylvius,
>
> this is most certainly not the answer you’re looking for, but may still be
> the best way to go: don’t replicate the exact notation at all. There are
> other ways to indicate harmonics, and this one is quite unusual (= likely to
> cause unnecessary distraction) and really not idiomatic for computer
> typesetting. See
> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-unfretted-strings#harmonics>
> for alternatives.
>
> Best, Simon
>

> On 06.07.2018 14:18, sylvius wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I’m trying to draw a dotted semicircle above and below a note head to
>> indicate harmonics (as shown in the picture).
>>

>> This is what I’ve achieved so far with LilyPond but it’s far from perfect.
>> (I didn’t manage to typeset a dotted semicircle. There still are some
>> collisions…)
>>
>> %%%%
>> \version "2.21.0"
>>
>> semicircle = \markup {
>>   \postscript #"2 0 moveto 1 0 1  0
>>                 180 arc 0.2 setlinewidth  stroke"
>> }
>> semicircleDown = \markup {
>>   \postscript #"2 0 moveto 1 0 1  0
>>                 180 arc 0.2 setlinewidth  stroke"
>> }
>>
>> semicircleUp = \markup {
>>   \postscript #"0 0 moveto 1 0 -1  0
>>                 180 arc 0.2 setlinewidth  stroke"
>> }
>> music = {
>>   \key g \major
>>   \time 6/8
>>
>>   <fis'_3 d''^2>4 r8
>>   %\once \override Script.script-priority = #-100
>>   <d'_3>4^\semicircleDown _\markup { %\rotate #180 %\halign #1 \semicircle
>>     \semicircleUp}
>>     ^"harm:" r8
>> }
>>
>> \score {
>>   \music
>> }
>>
>> %%%%
>>
>> Any hint is greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sylvius

Hi,

regarding your mail-adress I suppose you typeset a piece from Sylvius
Leopold Weiss, copying an old transkription. From the image likely:
lute-tablature to guitar-notation.

If that's true, there would be no reason to exactly follow this
transkription. It is not the original anyway.

So I'd like to second Simon.

Though, my guess may be wrong. Afaik, S.L.Weiss never used harmonics ...

Cheers,
  Harm