Re: Global Variable vs Edition Engraver

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: Global Variable vs Edition Engraver
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 09:35:40 +0200

Hi Craig, Kieren,

I actually use kind of a global variable for the global time line. So
all repeat signs, time-signatures *and* key-signatures there. Before I
implemented the EE I started with a template-engine where the tamplates
take care of creating the simultaneous music ( << \getMusic meta
\getMusic instrument >> ):
https://github.com/openlilylib/lalily-templates

It takes care of transposing instruments per score. I guess I have to
deal very seldom with changing instruments inside a movement compared to
you. Though it should be possible with an auto-transposer that tracks
for changing transpositions. That way the change of the instrument is
only a matter of setting properties and therefore would be EE compatible:
(I don't remember the state of this snippet ...)
https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/editorial-tools/auto-transpose

Btw, if I am transcribing a piece rehearsal marks found in the original
are placed in that global variable. For other pieces where I insert
rehearsal marks as an editorial addition I use the EE.

Best,
Jan-Peter