Re: Opinions: expressive text and markup sizes

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Opinions: expressive text and markup sizes
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 02:41:54 -0700 (MST)

Aaron Hill wrote
> On 2018-07-09 01:54, Torsten Hämmerle wrote:
> Thanks, Torsten.  Based on this, I wonder if \scale would be the better
> choice to avoid what happens with \magnify:

On the one hand, \scale is completely independent of font-sizes and will
work without much ado.

On the other hand, the Feta font (used for dynamics, fingering, accidentals)
will automatically pick a suitable design size depending on the font-size,
whereas scale will just geometrically scale the glyphs.

So, generally speaking, using \magnify (and thus setting the font size)
still is the "proper" way for changing the size of a font, even if "modern"
scalable fonts won't make a difference.
But, from a typographer's point of view, a 6 pt font is not a 12 pt font
scaled down by a factor of 0.5.

All the best,
Torsten