Re: Chord \crossStaff question

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Chord \crossStaff question
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 00:26:36 +0200

On 11.07.2018 10:05, Menu Jacques wrote:
Is one among the three scores above clearly preferable for a keyboard player? And what if moving notes to the first staff conflicts with other music already present there?

Cross-staff chords are very rarely used in keyboard music and are definitely more difficult to read. If anything, it’s an outdated idea. (Rossini’s P.te Messe solennelle uses them extensively, for example, at least in the Urtext edition I have, which is probably modelled after the sources in that respect.) However, IIUC this is about conversion of MusicXML, so I think it’s completely irrelevant what is preferable: if the cross-staff chords are explicitly coded as such in the MusicXML, then the task of the conversion tool is reproducing that faithfully regardless of typographic desirability. For example, there may be situations where it’s relevant semantically, e.g. to signify hand distribution. (Rossini is not like that, there they merely avoid ledger lines.)

Best, Simon