Re: Easiest way to call one voice (for parts)?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Easiest way to call one voice (for parts)?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 08:46:46 -0400

Hi Ben,

I didn’t follow this entire thread closely, so I’m not 100% sure whether the
functions herein would change my answer, but…

> Just one final curiosity question:
> Say you were engraving a full orchestra piece, where many instruments had 1,2
> or 3 parts (i.e. flute 1,2,3, trumpet 1,2, etc).
> Would you set up each instrument part (1,2,3) separately as variables and
> then part combine them on a staff in the score
>
> or
>
> would you compose them on one staff/variable, "inline" where you just create
> 'voices' as you go along.
> (assuming that there is a decent amount of independence between the parts of
> the same instrument.)

I would set each up separately, and then part combine them in the score(s).

> Would that encourage one approach over the other, or would you always do it
> the same way even if the parts (1,2,3) were 99% identical in the score of the
> same instrument?

I would always do it the same way regardless, using quotes to reduce (hopefully
eliminate!) redundant note code.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer