Staff-brace-like horizontal spanner

From: lists
Subject: Staff-brace-like horizontal spanner
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 18:24:15 +0000

Hi all,

I'm looking for a way to create a horizontal spanner that looks like a PianoStaff brace, which automatically grows horizontally without scaling the whole shape. The model can be seen on this page: http://reader.digitale-sammlungen.de/de/fs1/object/display/bsb10527451_00050.html
Of course this is realized thorugh type printing, with one type for the center "buckle".
I would be allowed to simply use slurs but I would really like to see if there's a better solution with acceptable effort.

Is there a way (or an existing solution) to achieve something like this without "manually" drawing a path? I'm reluctant to go for the self-drawing because I'm not sure how to make it to really look convincing (it feels like a type-designer's task).

Apart from the shape design itself I would need this in two variants: spanning between two notes and spanning whole measures (as seen on the sample page). I think for the first one one could conveniently build on the phrasing slur foundation (and probably even hijack that by overriding the stencil). For the second one: is it the right approach to parse the current system's content for barlines?
(BTW: I'm not interested in supporting multiline instances).

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Urs