Attaching lyrics to intermittent vocals with polyphony

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Attaching lyrics to intermittent vocals with polyphony
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 21:37:23 -0400

tl;dr: interrupted five-voice polyphony — how to attach lyrics, and still get proper polyphonic engraving, in 2.18.2?

I had a call-and-response arrangement with three response parts, and assigned lyrics to the responses like so:

  <<
    {
      \new Voice = "response"
      s1*6 |
    }
    {
      <<
        \context Voice = "resp_hi" {
          \voiceOne \transpose c c' { \autoBeamOff \melRespOne }
        }
        \context Voice = "harmony" {
          \voiceThree \autoBeamOff \harmRespOne
        }
        \context Voice = "response" {
          \voiceTwo \autoBeamOff \melRespOne
        }

      % ...
    }

  \context Lyrics = "response" {
    \lyricsto "response" {
      \respOne

This produced nicely-stemmed notes for the responses, and allowed me to attached lyrics across disparate polyphonic response sections.

However, I added two more responses, and voices past \VoiceFour are unrecognized. When I use the default << \\ >> polyphony, the \context approach no longer works. Using the built-in voice "1" (etc.) works when there’s only one uninterrupted instance of polyphony; however, it doesn’t carry across a break. If I try to set \context on a voice, I get a single (chord-ish) note column, plus the warning:

Preprocessing graphical objects...
test.ly:22:3: warning: ignoring too many clashing note columns

(although the lyrics do work).

What’s the optimal approach here?

Three MWEs are attached: one with the old, working approach; the second with default polyphony and unaligned lyrics; the last with an attempt at Voice context, which generates an error.

Thanks,
crism
--
Chris Maden, text nerd