Re: Some text formatting advice

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Some text formatting advice
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 14:37:07 +0200

Hi Torsten,

thank you for these ideas, which bring me further - but admittedly not over the goal line yet.

Am 23.07.2018 um 13:02 schrieb Torsten Hämmerle:
Hi Urs,

There is one magic command called \textLengthOn that might be of great help
in this case.

With \textLengthOn, the width of measures will be increased depending on the
markup without vertical shifting around and stacking on top of each other.

I knew about \textLengthOn but was not aware of the fact that I can manually limit the line width. These two together solve my issue of the horizontal boxing!

In a combination with staff-padding it is possible to vertically align
TextScript markups by their baseline.

Well, this only works sort-of, namely when there's no music above the staff.

In this modified excerpt you can see that the text abvoe the first bar is pushed upwards with no need:

%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.82"

{
  \textLengthOn
  \override TextScript.self-alignment-X = #CENTER
  \override TextScript.baseline-skip = #2.3
  \override TextScript.staff-padding = #6
  a''\longa*1/4^\markup \center-column {
    \bold "Longa."   "Eine lange Note." " "
  }
  c''\breve*1/2
    ^\markup \center-column {
      \bold "Breve." "Eine kurze" "Note."

I would like to be able to position text at a fixed distance from the staff, regardless of any items in the "padding" area. Of course if that would collide the text could be allowed to move (if the a'' were in the second bar that would be the case). But if a solution would suppress collision handling altogether it might be acceptable as well.

Urs