[Frescobaldi] MIDI playback setup

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: [Frescobaldi] MIDI playback setup
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2018 15:15:45 +0200

Hello everybody,

I just took another shot at configuring MIDI playback in Frescobaldi. Before the last ubuntu reinstall I performed, I had the good fortune that it worked by simply starting `timidity -iA` on the command line, then refreshing MIDI output ports in Frescobaldi’s MIDI options and selecting one.

This doesn’t work anymore – I can start timidity -iA but Frescobaldi ‘can’t see it’.

So I went to <https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/wiki/MIDI-playback-on-Linux> and followed what seemed to be the simplest instructions: installed fluidsynth, qsynth, and the soundfont, started the Qsynth GUI, selected pulseaudio as audio driver – but the result is the same: apparently no MIDI output port is visible to Frescobaldi.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance, best regards
Simon