Re: Aligning voices

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: Aligning voices
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 06:02:44 -0700 (MST)

Rachel Knight wrote
> I’m having trouble having these two chords line up correctly. Whenever I
> change the stem direction of the top voice (either with /voiceOne or
> /stemUp), it shifts the notes to the right and is no longer in alignment
> with the notes in my second voice.

Hi Rachel,

First of all, the \relative has to go outside the {}.
Apart from that, it is totally OK that the main note columns align
horizontally. With opposing stem directions, naturally the displaced notes
elude into opposite directions.

Gould says:
/"*Double stems:* Arrange chords so that notes on the 'correct' side of each
stem align vertically. (This same principle should be used to align
adjacent-note chords in a score […])"/

LilyPond's vertical alignmet is perfectly alright.

All the best,
Torsten