Re: Cover page

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Cover page
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 12:47:25 -0500

On Tue 11 Sep 2018 at 09:11:51 (-0700), foxfanfare wrote:
> Malte Meyn-3 wrote
> > What do you mean by “manager”? What OS are you using?
>
> Thanks David & Malte for your first comments. What I meant by manager is a
> bit like Frescobaldi is to LilyPond to me! I'm still using Windows but
> probably going to change for Linux soon...

Judging from your posts here, I'm kind of surprised that you aren't
already using it, as you would seem to have the aptitude for it.

I've been using LaTeX for over 30 years and wouldn't pretend to have
more than scraped the surface to be able to satisfy my needs.
Apart from its main role of producing documents from text and images,
like LilyPond it integrates well into an environment where you want
to automate tasks by writing scripts in shell, python etc.
I use LuaLaTeX on Debian nowadays.

Better people than I write considered comparisons between Word and
LateX; here's are a couple which cover different aspects:
http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/latex_advocacy.html
http://nitens.org/taraborelli/latex

I've never felt the need for a GUI (and it wouldn't have been
practical on DOS, or when I ran LaTeX on a mainframe 50 miles
away at 300 baud) but it sounds like Lyx might be worth your
trying out. It's included with linux distributions like Debian
so it's kosher.

Cheers,
David.