Re: How do I get MIDI dynamics from a \Dynamics staff?

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: How do I get MIDI dynamics from a \Dynamics staff?
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 09:13:57 -0700

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 05:06:48PM +0100, Peter Toye wrote:
>    Guy,
>
>    Thanks. I've found the thread. It seems fairly complicated, and as
>    I only use MIDI for proof-reading (proof-hearing?) I’ll ignore the
>    dynamics altogether! Life's too short.

My usual approach, as always, is to use a separate score for midi:

        %
        % Just write your music this way:
        %

        upperPart = { ... }
        dynPart = {
                s1\ff   % ... etc.
        }
        lowerPart = { ... }

        %
        % The following can be pretty much copy-and-pasted to each
        % piece:
        %

        % Score for layout
        \score {
                \new Staff { \upperPart }
                \new Dynamics { \dynPart }
                \new Staff { \lowerPart }
                \layout {}
        }

        % Score for midi
        \score {
                % Explicitly merge dynPart into both parts so that
                % dynamics will be applied correctly to both.
                \new Staff << \upperPart \dynPart >>
                \new Staff << \lowerPart \dynPart >>
                \midi {}

Shin: (n.) A device for finding furniture in the dark.