Re: Tempo declaration on different staves

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: Tempo declaration on different staves
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 12:57:30 +1000

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 at 04:25, Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> wrote:
On 18.09.2018 21:10, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> Here’s one way. (Note that I also <<>>'ed the \global variable into each*staff*  context in the score, rather than into each note variable definition; personally, I think that is better coding style, for many reasons.)

I for my part don’t feel like I have arrived at a consistent way of
doing this, which is a pain, because I reconsider it for every project,
however it seems to also make sense to make less effort for small
projects. However, I increasingly fancy the idea of putting everything
exactly where it belongs, for example having a timing variable that
contains only content which pertains – musically and LilyPondically – to
the entire score (or, in polymetrics, everything which has the same timing).
And maybe even splitting stuff up into per Staff and per Voice. Though,
as I said, this is all in a kind of experimental stage and not quite
thought through.

Best, Simon

With my current multi-movement choral work, I have the following:

globalGlobal = {
  \set ChoirStaff.systemStartDelimiter = #'SystemStartSquare
  \override Score.SystemStartSquare.collapse-height = #6
  \set Staff.printKeyCancellation = ##f
  \tupletUp
  \override Score.FootnoteItem.annotation-line = ##f
  \override Accidental.hide-tied-accidental-after-break = ##t
}

then

GlobalSeventh = {
  \globalGlobal
  \key g \major
  \time 2/2
  \tempo 2 = 60
  \skip 1*100
  \bar "||"
  \break
  \time 4/4

then

     \new Staff = "T1" \with
    {
      instrumentName = "I" % Tenor 1, ChoirStaff is called "Tenor"
    }
    {
      <<
        \clef "G_8"
        \GlobalSeventh
        \TenorOneSeventh

    }
    \addlyrics \TenorOneSeventhLyrics

globalGlobal has settings I can't make work in \layout. The movement global has all the key and tempo changes and barlines. Putting it at the start of a music variable instead of << >>ing it doesn't allow it to contain any timing information, otherwise the music will be shifted forward the length of the global variable. Putting the clef where it is a bit idiosyncratic, but it lets me do things like have a trombone part use bass clef in the score and tenor clef in the part.

Every time I use a template in Frescobaldi I have to move the \global variable…

Vaughan