Re: Octave shifts in polyphonic setting

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Octave shifts in polyphonic setting
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 22:56:02 +0200

On 25.09.2018 21:13, Jogchum Reitsma wrote:
Hi,

When entering a piece of music with some one-, some two- and some three-voiced bars, quite often notes in previous bars go up or down an octave, when entering new bars. Restoring this from the first bars affected by adding or deleting apostrophes or comma's, sometimes lead again to side effects. Rather frustrating...

In the repertoire that I normally typeset, relative mode is still the way to go, because small intervals prevail. I find that there are enough tools to make it manageable and diminish the nuisance: 1) Octave checks, as often as necessary. The beginning of each voice in a polyphonic construct is an obvious candidate, as are new entries after long rests. The more large intervals occur, the more octave checks. This is something I adjust as needed. 2) \resetRelativeOctave is an exceptionally useful command easily overlooked, especially in situations like you describe. 3) Use more individual \relative commands, i.e. move \relative as close to the music as possible.
<< \relative {} \\ \relative {} >>
is less error-prone than
\relative { … << {} \\ {} >> … }.
Of course this isn’t practical in piano music where very many <<>> constructs are needed.
4) Don’t use lots of <<\\>> constructs, but instead something like
<<
  \new Voice {
    % oneVoice music
  }
  \new Voice {
    \voiceOne
    %…
  }
  \new Voice {
    \voiceTwo
    %…
  }

along with copious spacer rests to bridge over the sections with other ‘voicings’. This requires quite some planning ahead and again isn’t applicable to every kind of music.

HTH, Simon