Long text passages: Proper use of \markup, \column, \line?

From: Tom Campbell
Subject: Long text passages: Proper use of \markup, \column, \line?
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 03:51:47 -0700

I'm writing multiple pages of text and noticed that the bottom margin wasn't being observed. I think it's because I'm placing the whole chapter inside a \markup. I can't seem to find a cohesive explanation of \markup all in one place. Likewise with \column, \line, \wordwrap, and \markuplist. Explanations to RTFM would be warmly welcomed with links. Here's what I think I know.

markup (docs at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/formatting-text)
Keeps everything inside its brackets on a single page, apparently. So should pretty much be used for each paragraph, or examples in which I want a header and paragraph, or header and illustration, all on one page?

\column  (docs at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/alignhttp://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/align)
Observes newlines, useful with lyric stanzas, for example.

\line
Opposite of \column; keep everything on one line without wordwrap

\wordwrap
Not sure how this differs from \markup?

\markuplist
Can't find docs on this one