Re: GrandStaff vertical distance

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: GrandStaff vertical distance
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 23:07:35 -0700

On 2018-10-17 9:35 pm, Brian Barker wrote:
At 14:40 17/10/2018 -0500, David Wright wrote:
... and "hash" not quite proper in polite society.
Really? Always appropriate in my company!

I'm partial to "octothorpe".  ;-)

----

But at the end of the day, there doesn't really need to be a perfect match between the symbols used for system grouping and the naming. Rather it just needs to be clear and consistent enough that it can be well documented and folks can eventually adapt to using it.

I would definitely recommend against "##" or "||" simply because they do not clearly indicate starting and ending positions. That is to say, what is the difference between "####" and "####", where one means two square brackets side-by-side and the other is a nested pair of brackets. At least "<><>" and "<<>>" are visually unique. And the angle bracket nearly forms a 90-degree angle, so mapping it to "square" seems apropos in an indirect manner.

-- Aaron Hill