Re: TextScript.outside-staff-padding and text's baseline

From: Torsten Hämmerle
Subject: Re: TextScript.outside-staff-padding and text's baseline
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 02:25:05 -0700 (MST)

David Kastrup wrote
> Given how often this occurs, maybe we should create some function for
> that purpose rather than putting pairs everywhere in peacemeal?
>
> The principal question is what to do when the event does not have an
> explicit direction.  Then one would have to refer to the grob callback
> instead, maybe?

Yes, the up/down padding decision can only be taken in a callback, I agree,
because we need to wait for the direction to be finally known.

I my practical cases, I often need both directions and as soon as
staff-padding is used, I get an unbalanced look without different up/down
values.
When setting the one single value too high, the text above the stave gets
pushed too far up, when setting a smaller value, the text below the stave
will not be aligned to the baseline any more and the aligning purpose of
staff-padding is not fulfilled.

All the best,
Torsten