Re: Automatically identify beats

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Automatically identify beats
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 14:30:40 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Di., 9. Okt. 2018 um 01:24 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>>
>> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > namely a bunch of Translator_creator s creating C++ engravers (maybe the
>> > print expression should at least mention _which_ C++ engraver in order
>> > to make them look less similar)
>>
>> which is actually pretty hard since the Translator_creator type is
>> identical for all C++ translators and is just instantiated with an
>> allocator function able to create the required type of C++ translator.
>> So basically all a Translator_creator instance can do is, well, create a
>> translator.  It has no other type-dependent information and I would not
>> want to create a translator when printing just so that I can look up its
>> name.
>>
>> So 2.21 material.
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup
>
> For the record.
>
>>From a users point of view, you can already use ly:translator-name.
> (Works for all tested guile-versions)

Oh.  Well, that's for registered translator creators, apparently.  That
would imply that ly:translator-name no longer works for actual
translators, just for registered translator creators.

I think that this may be a regression as compared to previous behavior
where you could get the name of an actual translator (the first argument
of most engraver callbacks).

More involved than I remembered.

--
David Kastrup