Re: Comparison of Musescore, Sibelius and Dorico -- would like to add Li

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Comparison of Musescore, Sibelius and Dorico -- would like to add Lilypond
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 20:28:01 +0100

Am 20.11.18 um 19:38 schrieb David Bellows:
Over in the /r/composer sub on Reddit, a user put together a chart
listing features of Musescore, Sibelius and Dorico. While I can figure
out whether Lilypond has some/many of those features (or can "fake"
them), I figured that there are people here who could do this easier
and better and off the tops of their heads.

So if anyone wants to contribute you can either do so using this list,
email me directly or if you have a Reddit account just post your
results in that thread. I'm one of the mods of that sub and our plan
is to keep a permanent link to the chart for future reference.

The post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/composer/comments/9yue29/comparison_of_features_between_musescore_sibelius/

The chart (Google document):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VWH-dEMyf4P4smFKE36dnBQ_vXNGvKRnE7Fgh4yFNXQ/edit#gid=0

I think it would be good to add our stuff to the chart (not necessarily much to the comments section).

But if we do that I think we should

* not only check the given items with yes/no but also freely add to the list
  (just two random entries: "Lyrics, unlimited number of stanzas", "Ornaments, custom").
  Especially on the "Engraving" tab there are *lots* of possibilities

* find a way to plug the "programmability" aspect (vs. applying plugins after-the-fact),   with things like complete extensibility with syntactical means, conditional layout per engraving target ...
  (Maybe this would even warrant a new tab in the sheet)

My 2cts

Urs

Thanks,
Dave Bellows