Re: Compiling LilyPond on Linux Mint 19.1

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Compiling LilyPond on Linux Mint 19.1
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 10:40:33 -0800

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 07:06:43PM +0100, Urs Liska wrote:

> Am 21.12.18 um 09:06 schrieb Urs Liska:
> > Hi Lukas,
> >
> > thanks for putting this together. Indeed since installing a distro
> > that doesn't Guile 1.8 anymore I hadn't been able to compile
> > LilyPond anymore. Once I managed to compile Guile 1.8 and do a build
> > but for some reason I lost this option. I think the point was that
> > after compiling Guile I had to actually change the way LilyPond's
> > make was handled - which of course isn't sustainable.

Some time ago I ran into the same problem with Guile 1.8 no longer being
the default version of Guile in my distro (and in fact, not even
installable anymore from the official repo), but Lilypond does not work
with newer versions of Guile.  Furthermore, Python 2.7 is also no longer
the default in my distro, which is an added level of pain, though
luckily I can still install Python 2.7, it's just not the default Python
that would get invoked.

Fortunately, I can compile my own version of Guile 1.8 as you did.  Once
that is done, I found that I actually don't need to change LilyPond's
makefile; all I needed was to set $PATH and re-run LilyPond's autogen.sh
with the appropriate customizations, like this:

        PATH=/usr/src/guile-1.8/bin:$PATH ./autogen.sh \
                --with-python-include=/usr/include/python2.7/ \
                CFLAGS="-Wno-sequence-point" \
                LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath,/usr/src/guile-1.8/lib"

Of course, replace /usr/src/guile-1.8 with the path to wherever you
compiled Guile 1.8 (you don't actually need to install Guile 1.8
anywhere on your system; autogen.sh appeared smart enough to pick up the
right files from Guile's source directory once that's built, and once
you hacked $PATH to pick up Guile 1.8 before anything else); and replace
/usr/include/python2.7 with wherever your distro installed Python 2.7's
include files.

After running this step, you should be able to just run make as usual,
and it should be able to build Lilypond successfully.

(I have put the above autogen.sh invocation in a script that I keep with
my lilypond git clone, so that I don't have to type all of that every
time!  Though, truth be told, you really only need to re-run autogen.sh
if you have a fresh git clone / source download, or you did a deep
cleaning of the source tree. I found that I could still just run make
after `git pull` without needing to run autogen.sh again.)

Hope this info helps.

Leather is waterproof.  Ever see a cow with an umbrella?