Re: Use arbitrary notes (with stem/flag) as MMR stencil override

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Use arbitrary notes (with stem/flag) as MMR stencil override
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 16:44:14 +0100

Hi Kieren,

Am 05.02.19 um 16:35 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi Urs,

Isn’t this something that should be available to NoteHead (or NoteColumn) directly, rather than through MMR?

That would be cool, although I'd think that MMRs are generally the only items that are printed in the middle of a measure.

 Is there some measure-centred-interface that could be created to handle this? If so, that would also be *so* helpful for spanners (eliminating the need for David N’s workaround), and other grobs.

I clearly know very little of what I’m talking about… but wanted to get an idea of the technical possibilities.

Me too. What *could* of course be done is wrapping the stuff of finding the surrounding measure borders etc. in a more convenient and readily available Scheme function (e.g. within a stencil override being able to say

(let ((slur-props (spanner-properties grob)))

and have access to all sorts of information.

However, this won't help me with the current problem of the combined "note" (for which indeed NoteColumn or PaperColumn might be promising points to be attacked). *And* it will (at least on the Scheme side) always suffer from the limitation that it can only be accessed after-line-breaking or even in 'stencil' when any operations won't be able to influence anything else (if I'm pushing anything somewhere else there won't be any layout adjustment or collision handling anymore).

Probably one would have to see how the MultiMeasureRest originally performs its centering and learn from that (but I'd expect this to be in the C++ part).

Urs

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer