Re: creating a function to automate slides (falls) in rock guitar music

From: John Doe
Subject: Re: creating a function to automate slides (falls) in rock guitar music
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2019 03:37:06 +0800

This works for me, Randy:

    \override Glissando #'style = #'zigzag
    \once \override Glissando #'(bound-details left Y) = #+3
    | r4 r8 ees'~ ees4 \glissando ges,8 ess

Thanks Michael, overriding the bound details is a good idea, but on chords, all the gliss lines converge to one point. I've attached a picture of the sort of output I'm trying to achieve. It's very common in rock guitar notation.

I guess my Subject line was a little inaccurate, not just slides, but falls specifically. I've edited the subject line.

Here's the core of the approach I'm trying to accomplish this with (version 2.19.82):

    fall = #(define-music-function (input) (ly:music?)
        #{
            \afterGrace 16/16 << $input <>\glissando >>
                \hideNotes $input \unHideNotes
        #})
    \relative { \fall e'8 e, e16 e e d r2 }

Which, for me, produces a the output you can see in the second attachment (I'm trying to transcribe the guitar parts of Royal Orleans by Led Zeppelin). There are several problems with this:

  1. I would like to be able to attach it post-note as is normally done with \glissando and other articulations (but I'm not sure how that works, and I haven't looked into it yet);
  2. in relative music blocks, it appears that using a music variable that contains an octave mark makes the note change octaves each the variable containing it is used (as is the case with this, where you can see the invisible note has jumped an octave again); and
  3. when I hide the grace note with \hideNotes, the note before it starts beaming to it (!)
If you or anybody on the list knows how these problems could be solved, I could sleep better at night :) I'm definitely a little obsessive about programming problems.

Thanks,
Randy