Re: Use arbitrary notes (with stem/flag) as MMR stencil override

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Use arbitrary notes (with stem/flag) as MMR stencil override
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 22:21:41 +0100

> Hi David,
>
>> They are completely different functions and rely on different
>> information getting collected and processed by the respective engravers.
>> So you cannot just merge them into one function that then does different
>> things dependent on some centre-in-measure flag.
>
> As is so often the case, I don’t seem to be asking the right
> question(s), or else I’m asking the right question(s) in a way that
> does not result in helpful answer(s).
>
> So here goes another attempt to as the right question, or ask it in the right
> way:
>
> Is it really the case that the best way for Lilypond to centre things
> in measures is the current ad-hoc grab-bag of built-in algorithms
> (cf. MMRs) and distinct hacks (David N’s measure-centred spanners,
> Harm’s note-column-centering, etc. etc. etc.), as opposed to building
> a single, consistent, shared mechanism that could be used / adapted /
> leveraged / referenced / whatever by any grob [type] that wanted to be
> centred in a measure?

Pretty much.  The MMR functionality is pretty special.  One would
probably need to refactor the job of typesetting MMRs between the normal
rest engraver and the MMR engraver in order to make it possible for
other objects to gain similar positioning.  It's certainly desirable for
things like bordun notes (Monteverdi's Vespers anybody?) but it requires
a completely different approach to positioning that is not really
amenable to a few flags.  For example, what to do if a measure is split
across lines?

--
David Kastrup