Re: systems-per-page and ragged-last-bottom

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: systems-per-page and ragged-last-bottom
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 21:17:49 -0500

Hi Malte,

> IMHO systems-per-page should be ignored on the last page if (and only if)
> ragged-last-bottom is set to ##t

+1

> systems-per-page also doesn’t work well with large headers or other markups.
> One might want less systems on the first page in this case too

The way Lilypond treats the title block almost like another system is
unfortunate. I really wish we had controls like systems-on-first-page and
systems-on-last-page, separate from systems-per-page. I also wish we had better
measure-locking and -casting capabilities (e.g., “spread the first 70 measures
across exactly 12 systems; put the next 24 measures across no fewer than 6 but
no more than 9 systems; Lily’s choice for the next 32 measures”, etc.).

That being said (asked?), Lily’s layout algorithms and flexibility are pretty
amazing, so I try not to whinge too much or too often…

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info