Re: Overrun of right margin

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Overrun of right margin
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 12:32:55 -0600

Hi Andrew, hi Aaron,

Yep (also for future archive searchers) I can confirm that the right margin overrun results from the Lily default that glissando aren't breakable, as Aaron identifies.

It should be enough to include just ...

   \override Score.Glissando.breakable = ##t

... to prevent this one particular instance of right margin overrun.

There are, of course, other conditions that can also cause right margin overrun. Jean Bréfort pointed to barline-crossing durations earlier in this thread, which can also cause right margin overrun. If you *want* barline-crossing durations (complexism or music before 1600) then you need to remove Lily's Forbid_line_break_engraver from every voice context in which barline-crossing durations occur. Something like ...

    \context {
        \Voice
        \remove Forbid_line_break_engraver
    }

... does the trick for all voices in your score.

Andrew, if you're engraving a lot of complexist music, I suggest removing the Forbid_line_break_engraver as a matter of course.

Trevor.

On 2019-01-19 4:56 pm, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Problem solved after much deconstruction.
>
> I am setting a string quartet. In this section almost every note has a
> glissando, and some become to small to see. So I set this:
>
>         \override Glissando #'minimum-length = #5
>         \override Glissando #'springs-and-rods =
> #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
>
> This works fine to give the minimum length of the glissandi. It turns
> out
> that this was forcing the score over the edge of the paper, not a
> rhythmic
> error. Adjusting that solves the problem. It's only when there are a
> large
> number of glissandi in the line that it occurs. I report this here in
> case
> it may help future archive searchers.

This is probably because glissandi are unbreakable by default.  If you
have one overlapping a bar line, then LilyPond cannot break there.

Consider the following:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
{
   \override Glissando.minimum-length = #5
   \override Glissando.springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
   \override Glissando.breakable = ##t
   \repeat unfold 32 { f'8\glissando e''8\glissando } f'1
}
%%%%

If you omit setting 'breakable to true, you'll see the result extends
all on one line.

-- Aaron Hill