Re: The Guide to getting Point and Click going with Gvim under Ubuntu 18

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: The Guide to getting Point and Click going with Gvim under Ubuntu 18
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 09:19:28 +0100

Hi Andrew

Il giorno gio 28 feb 2019 alle 3:05, Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> ha scritto:
Hi Federico,

Hmm. This is becoming somewhat problematical. Fedora is clearly significantly different to Ubuntu, in relation to the behaviour of GNOME. At this rate, there will need to be a section for every major distro of Linux, due to variations. It will be infeasible to make this generic. I also run Debian and it has its differences also. I suppose this is the nature of Linux distros.

Personally I'm against making the documentation too detailed and specific as it will become hard to maintain. I think a trade-off is possible..

The Lilypond Usage section is in fact incorrect regarding Apparmor on Ubuntu and should be corrected, as this is one of the most difficult part, that few people understand. Not many users customise Apparmor - it's quite arcane.

While I am happy to learn the development submission process, it's true that this page is somewhat more tutorial than reference. That's in fact the idea. So now I am favouring a blog post at Scores of Beauty. But I will reflect on it.

Then go for the blog post. Scores of Beauty's last post was published last year... we need new articles! I have two drafts in Scores of Beauty which I could not complete yet. One is about point and click configuration in all operating systems. I was stuck because of some problems I got with Windows and especially Mac. Now I'm convinced I should split the post in three and publish the Linux part soon. The rest will follow...

I run virtual Linux machines and I am happy to run up all the major distros and to account for all the differences, but this seems like a large amount of work for something that people don't necessarily even want anyway. And there is no way I am going to write anything for Windows, or Mac.

I'm happy to make a few tests and write a Doc patch on this subject. It was in my TODO list since I sent the last patch for the Usage manual.