Re: release of 2.20?

From: Ben
Subject: Re: release of 2.20?
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 09:40:03 -0500

On 3/3/2019 8:19 AM, Dirk Cresswell wrote:
hi everybody,

when will lilypond 2.20 be released? iiuc the last prerelease was 8 months ago and i'm wondering whether development has stopped... i would like to use all the new features but my university won't let me install unstable software.
thanks to all developers for making such a good software!

regards,
dirk

Hi Dirk,

Don't be fooled by the name "unstable" regarding LilyPond version 2.19.82 - it's quite stable.  :)

http://lilypond.org/development.html

Just curious, how does the university decide what's "unstable" or not? Do they consider anything remotely-non-final / beta as definitively "unstable"? Or is it just the word "unstable" in the case of LilyPond's versioning itself that scares them? If the LilyPond development version was called something else, could you then be allowed to install it?

(I assume you're talking about computers in a lab setting, right? Not personal machines on the network...)