Re: weird error with \repeat tremolo

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: Re: weird error with \repeat tremolo
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2019 13:15:16 +0100

Hi Aaron,

here's another example that causes the error:

\version "2.19.82"

\relative c'' {
  \time 4/16
  gis'32[ e c a \repeat tremolo 8 { fis64] }
}

Again, it seems related to collisions between beams and tremolo glyphs. But here, the 32nd-notes should force the bottom beam low enough that there's room for them, yet for whatever reason it fails anyway.

Oh well. I guess I'll just force manual beaming as a workaround for now.

Thanks for the help,

On 2019-02-25 2:15 am, Thomas Morley wrote:
> Am Mo., 25. Feb. 2019 um 11:02 Uhr schrieb N. Andrew Walsh
> <address@hidden>:
>>
>> Hi Aaron,
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 10:50 AM Aaron Hill <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>    You could try manually lengthening
>>>
>>> the stem to see if it helps as a possible workaround.
>>

>> I've gone all the way out to
>>
>>  \once \override Beam.positions = #'(-20 . -24)
>>
>> and still get the error, so I don't think tweaking stem length is
>> going to help. Any idea what the error might be? Is there a bug
>> report?
>>
>> Thanks for the help,

> Some discussion here:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2019-02/msg00000.html

I was so certain I had posted to the bug alias on this issue, but I
cannot find it.  It was a pretty big write up too, testing lots of
things.  But I am feeling like I must have dreamt it, since there's no
trace.  :-/

> Here another minimal:
>
> \relative c'' {
>   %\voiceOne
>   d16. d32 \repeat tremolo 4 { b32 }
> }
>
> Looks like the error happens only if stems are pointing down, thus
> above compiles fine if voiceOne is uncommented.

The issue doesn't seem to be precisely stem direction.  You can trigger
it with this:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
{ a32 8..:32 }
%%%%

If you change the note to g, then it works.  Lower notes result in a
longer stem, which is why I had thought it might have something to do
with stem length.

But then I found that beam-thickness can affect things too:

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
{ \override Beam.beam-thickness = #0.488934 a32 8..:32 }
%%%%

This fails, but change the thickness to #0.488935 or higher and it
works.

%%%%
\version "2.19.82"
{ \override StemTremolo.beam-thickness = #0.465801 a32 8..:32 }
%%%%

Again, this will fail, but *lower* the thickness to #0.465800 and it
works.

-- Aaron Hill