Re: Character encoding / poor man's letterspacing

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Character encoding / poor man's letterspacing
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 10:55:09 -0700

On 2019-03-11 9:56 am, Urs Liska wrote:
Hi,

I've written a poor-man's implementation of a simple \letterspaced
markup command:

#(define-markup-command
  (letterspaced layout props text)(markup?)
  (let*
   ((chars (string->list text))
    (dummy (ly:message "Chars: ~a" chars))
    (spaced-text
     (string-join
      (map string chars) " ")))
   (interpret-markup layout props
     (markup spaced-text))))

However, this scrambles umlauts and presumably other UTF-8 characters
as you can see with

{
  s1 ^\markup \letterspaced "Täst"
}

=>Chars: (T � � s t)

Obviously the characters are wrongly en/decoded along the way, which
makes me think whether I have simply forgotten an encoding setting
somewhere (although I have no idea where and how I should include
that) or whether that whole routine is totally clumsy.

It is my understanding that proper Unicode support is not in Guile 1.8. As such, I believe string->list will not understand that multiple bytes could represent a single codepoint. Also, in Guile characters values of the form #\nnn are limited to 256 possible values (#\000 to #\377). If you try to specify a larger value, it just wraps around: (eq? #\012 #\412)

You should be able to achieve what you want, but you'll have to examine the characters in the list by hand looking for UTF-8 sequences and only inserting spaces between actual characters. Note that means that you would need to watch out for combining characters and other special things.

I do not have the time right now, but I can definitely take a stab at this later in the day if you would like.

-- Aaron Hill