Re: Advice sought on making parts for string quartet

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Advice sought on making parts for string quartet
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 11:26:47 +0100

Hi Andrew,

Am 13.03.19 um 11:10 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
I'm seeking the advice of the list expertise on the topic of producing parts for a string quartet. I think I know the answer to this in advance, but I want to validate my ideas. In the score I am setting for a composer colleague, we are fussy about pagination and line breaks. Lilypond does a marvellous job of layout out music, but all our scores use explicit page and line breaks at all times. I don't currently use a separate part to control the layout vis a vis line and page breaking, since the time signature changes multiple times per pages and it would be a major headache, two hundred pages of trying to track that separately.

The issue is that if I use tags to produce a score and parts as per the standard examples, the explicitly written page breaks cause the parts to have page breaks after each line, obviously, instead of line breaks.

I cannot be the only person to need to deal with this. What's the best practice for making parts when using explicit page breaking?

I would say this is a prime use case for the edition-engraver that allows you to inject a \break based on measure number (regardless of time changes along the way). Presumably you can make life even simpler using the openLilyLib package "page-layout" (depending on "breaks" and "edition-engraver").

With this you can register "break sets" with line breaks, page breaks and page turns and assign them to a label (e.g. score, violinI, violinII, va, vc). Then in the individual part file you'd say \applyConditionalBreaks violinII.

The usage example https://github.com/openlilylib/page-layout/blob/master/usage-examples/conditional-breaks.ly should give you a quick idea, although it is done for manuscript/original-edition.

HTH
Urs