Re: ties and cross staff beaming

From: Lukas-Fabian Moser
Subject: Re: ties and cross staff beaming
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 22:48:20 +0100

Your code has an error. Can you tell me how to fix?
warning: this Voice needs a \voiceXx or \shiftXx setting \down c,8~[ \up <g'
bf e>~]

Well, "an error" - to be precise, this code

1) compiles successfully

2) gives the intended output

3) causes Lilypond to give a warning.

I wasn't surprised by 3) (since the codes tricks LilyPond into creating colliding notes most of which are rendered invisible), so I didn't care much. I'm pretty sure there is a way to avoid this warning, either by telling LilyPond to be more tolerant with regard to collisions or by explicitly disabling the warning by using ly:expect-warning.

Don't confuse warnings and errors: only errors prevent a successful compilation.

Lukas