Order of callback function calls

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Order of callback function calls
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 10:12:42 +0100

Hi,

I'm thinking about collecting some (and hopefully a growing corpus) of the functions that help dealing with grobs in callback functions and make them accessible in an openLilyLib package. For example for so many applications it is necessary to find a grob's system, then get all objects within that and find specific ones within that list. Or find the NoteColumn's at the two ends of a spanner, etc. I think making such patterns more accessible with functions is a way for me to become more comfortable with this type of grob manipulation, and maybe it will be useful to make this area somewhat more accessible for an (even if only slightly) wider audience.

I know that some functions can only be called before or after certain points in the engraving process. For example all information about the absolute positioning of grobs is only available after-line-breaking, while some actions (e.g. setting properties like 'X-offset) will only have an effect before-line-breaking (whereas one can set the 'color property at any time).

I have two questions about this for now:

1. Is there a list somewhere detailing *all* available callbacks?

2. Is there anything general to say about when callbacks for regular properties like e.g. 'direction  or 'X-offset. I mean, if I say \override DynamicText.X-offset = #my-custom-callback, when will that be called?

Best
Urs