Re: Non-integer tempo marking

From: Tsz Kiu Pang
Subject: Re: Non-integer tempo marking
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 12:01:56 +1100

On Sat, 23 Feb 2019 at 18:42, Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Pang,

This won't help for MIDI, as has been pointed out, but you did not specify that.

That is okay. Although ideally I want to get the MIDI to work, but for now I will settle for the score.

Here's my function for metronome marks, which allows you to use notes in them. I have a whole bunch of related functions, some with boxes, some with additional text parameters and so on. You can obviously put any number you like in here. [I have edited this a little, because I use custom had made fonts for notes and I just deleted all that for this example to help, so it may not be quite so beautiful as in my own context.]

Thank you very much for your help, Andrew, and sorry for the late reply.
I think I can see what your function is trying to do,
but unfortunately despite days of looking at the lilypond documentation,
I still have not figure out the syntax for calling a function in lilypond,
in particular I am struggling with the syntax for the arguments.
Would you kindly please show me how to call your function \metroMark?

I am pretty sure every man and his dog is going to criticise the idea of a metro mark of 72.5, as players, if this is for humans, can't attain that accuracy. No metronome I have, mechanical or digital, will let me set a fractional tempo. Just saying.

Sorry I should have mentioned that using a non-integer tempo marking is for a metric modulation in the music.
The tempo is more like a reference for the musician, alongside with the tempo relationship between the two section.