Running gdb on lilypond with -I args

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Running gdb on lilypond with -I args
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 13:57:46 +1100

Trying to run lilypond under gdb so that it picks up my include directories. Invoking this has no effect on the args gdb uses when calling run in gdb:

gdb --args /usr/local/bin/lilypond -I $HOME/lib/lilypond -I $HOME/lib/openlilylib/snippets -I /home/andro/lib/openlilylib

Where is my mistake? Adding quotes to each -I option has no effect. The only examples I can see from google all use simple arguments, not -I flag types. Strange lack of info.

Andrew