Re: Bach, beams, and benchmarks

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Bach, beams, and benchmarks
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 14:42:54 +0100

Abraham Lee <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, David!
>
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 8:38 AM David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > Here's my first page of this piece.
>>
>> I'd have been interested in the second one, the multi-string passages
>> close to the end.  Since there are fingerings in your page, you are
>> obviously not writing an Urtext.
>>

> Most definitely not. I am also not a string player, so you'll have to
> forgive the fingering. I was merely copying this from another source as an
> exercise.
>
> Anyway, see the attached PDF which includes both pages. Hopefully that
> satisfies your interests.

Yes, thanks.  I should mention that "copying this from another source"
is a bad idea _unless_ you are creating an Urtext since things like the
fingering are copyrighted (except for quite old editions).  This may be
particularly infuriating concerning the Bach solo string pieces since

a) the more complex passages have only one feasible and obvious
fingering: they are written for violin/cello rather than against them.

b) cluttering the score with pre-printed fingering is more annoying than
helpful anyway, particularly so where a "creative element" is
indisputible since the editor has diverged from the obvious best choice.

In general it tends to be a better idea for legal reasons to copy Urtext
editions: their claim to copyright is actually constrained to the
graphical elements rather than the musical content.  But I found that
extensively "helpful" editions particularly of the solo suites/sonatas
are not actually helpful for performance preparation since they are a
distraction and impede with the player's "breathing room".

--
David Kastrup