a curious workaround for flabby rounded-boxes

From: Robin Bannister
Subject: a curious workaround for flabby rounded-boxes
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 20:28:44 +0100

Hallo there

I was looking to revamp my DIY fingering functions in the light of features available when moving from 2.18 to 2.20, e.g. I can get tighter positioning via TextScript.parent-alignment-X.

There is a 'ringed' function for fingerings which need highlighting. Its bulbous \circle now seems rather wasteful of width, so I thought I could try \rounded-box instead. Well, it could certainly made be narrower and still readable, but it has spurious padding which wastes width too.

This padding bug was found a year ago
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2018-03/msg00022.html
and it should be gone by 2.21.0.

My workaround involved using \with-dimensions-from to apply the extents of a throwaway corner-radius_0 version to the wanted rounded version.
This was ugly but effective.
Today I inadvertently changed that 0 to 1 and it still worked!

So here is a compact workaround - attached, as \rounded-boxx.

It uses the rounded version to correctly crop itself.
This is beyond the extent of my explanatory powers.
Note that \pad-x 0 is ineffective, presumably because it sets the extents in a different way.

Cheers,
Robin