Re: Notation in Soprano Clef

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Notation in Soprano Clef
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2019 00:19:41 +0100

"Mark Stephen Mrotek" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello all,
>

> A C.P.E. Bach Piano sonata has the upper staff written with the soprano
> clef.
>
> My skill at reading music in soprano clef is minimal. So I am attempting a
> translation to treble clef.
>
> Does Lilypond have means to assist in this task?

LilyPond note entry names notes by pitch, not position in system.  You
can, after entering, view in soprano clef whether your entry matches the
source visually.

You can also figure out where the semitones in staff end up given the
key, figure out a suitable key that would have those semitone positions
if the clef were actually the treble clef, and then enter in that key,
pretending that it were in treble clef.

Afterwards you use Frescobaldi's transpose function to transpose your
input to the actual original key, proofread with soprano clef and
finally reprint with treble clef.

--
David Kastrup