Re: Tie multiple voice music contained in variable

From: Michael Käppler
Subject: Re: Tie multiple voice music contained in variable
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 09:59:19 +0100

Hi Gianmaria,
Interesting, for me running 2.19.80 the first example does not compile, either.
Was there a recent change regarding post-event handling?

The problem is that the tie is not a separate _expression_ that you could  concatenate with other
musical expressions like

bla = { e'1 }
foo = { ~ }
bar = { e'2 }

{ \bla \foo \bar }

(AFAIK with 2.19.x, not sure for more recent versions)
Instead it is a post-event which is internally added to the 'articulations property of the NoteEvent to which the tie belongs.
Compare:

\version "2.19.80"

foo = {
  e'1 ~
}

bar = {
  e'1
}

\displayMusic \foo
\displayMusic \bar

What are you trying to achieve? Your second example does not make much sense to me,
because if you want to tie two equally long notes you would normally use
chords for it I think:

foo = {
  <c' e'>1 ~ q1
}