Re: MIDI and dynamics

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: MIDI and dynamics
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 22:20:58 +0000

On 11/13/19, 1:54 PM, "Cam" <address@hidden> wrote:

    Hello All,

    I'm trying to have dynamics affect the generated MIDI without success. The
MWE below produces the MIDI shown even further below. The dynamic markings
result in channel volume control messages being injected into the MIDI but
always with the value of 0x64, regardless of the dynamic. I've read everything
I could find about MIDI and dynamics and I've tried including the "articulate"
script but it's always the same. I've looked at the .../scm/midi.scm file
without finding anything that looks out of order. Any suggestions?

I think you will find that the dynamics affect the Velocity of the individual
notes, rather than the volume control messages.

I don't have an opinion one way or another as to whether that is the right
approach, but that is the implemented approach.

This was previously discussed here :
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2015-10/msg00093.html

Carl