Re: Using "\set associatedVoice" in deferrely created contexts

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Using "\set associatedVoice" in deferrely created contexts
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2019 15:22:52 +0100

Павел Буданов <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, I want to automatically align syllables in deferrely created lyrics
> context. Why the following example doesn't work?
> <<
>    \new Staff \new Voice = "voice" { b b b b b b b b b b b b }
>    \new Lyrics {
>       s1
>       \new Lyrics \lyricmode { \set associatedVoice = #"voice" la la la la }
>    }

It works.  associatedVoice does not change the timing but associates the
syllables with note columns and aligns with them.

> But if you remove the pause, it will work.

Well, that is a bit of a red herring.  Without an explicit duration to
the syllables, they take the duration of the last preceding note.  In
your example above, that is the 1 from s1 .  Remove the s1 , and it is
the (implied) 4 from the preceding b4 .  If you write the first syllable
as la4 , the results will depend a lot less on the s1 being present or
not.

> When using lyricsto, this also works:

\lyricsto changes the timing of the lyric syllables to match the timing
of the associated Voice.  Completely different scenario.

--
David Kastrup