Re: make text span a specified musical interval?

From: Ben
Subject: Re: make text span a specified musical interval?
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 21:52:02 -0500

On 11/24/2019 9:34 PM, Jace Toronto wrote:
Hi all,

This is the basic gist of what I'm trying to do:

\version "2.18.2"

\score { \new Staff \relative c' {
  \repeat volta 2 {
    c4^"vamp" r2 d8-"(Last time only)" e |
  }
  f g a4 r2 |
} }

However, the "last time only" instruction spills into the following measure, which makes it less clear what it refers to.  I would like for the first measure to be expanded to account for the width of this text.

This is simple to do if the text need apply to only one note:

\score { \new Staff \relative c' {
  \repeat volta 2 {
    c4^"vamp" r2 r8 \textLengthOn e8-"(Last time only)" |
  }
  f g a4 r2 |
} }

But for multiple notes, this does not work as intended:

\score { \new Staff \relative c' {
  \repeat volta 2 {
    c4^"vamp" r2 \textLengthOn d8-"(Last time only)" e |
  }
  f g a4 r2 |
} }

Ideally, I would like the eighth notes engraved as in the first example (as they are by default, with no extra space between them), but then the rest of the measure after them to be padded with space to account for the text, as in the second example.  Alternatively, the eighth notes could be spaced out a little more to account for the text, but having the second eighth note AFTER the end of the text. as \textLengthOn does by default, is ugly.

The closest thing to a solution I could find in the list archive was a clear description of the problem in Lilypond-internals terms (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2008-08/msg00527.html) but only a hint at a solution insufficient for me to figure it out.  Anyone willing to offer a bigger hint?  Thank you.

Hi,

Is this what you would like the output to look like or am I misunderstanding?

\score {
  \new Staff \relative c' {
    \repeat volta 2 {
      c4^"vamp" r2 d8-"(Last time only)"
      \once \override NoteHead.extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 10)
      e |
    }
    f g a4 r2 |