Display of notes when using reduced line count in staff

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Display of notes when using reduced line count in staff
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 12:36:39 +1100

Pardon my base ignorance, but when using a reduced line count of 2
lines for a treble staff instead of five, the middle C position
apparently moves. I can't quite figure this out. I suppose the
behavior is entirely obvious to some, but I can't get my head around
it. There is very little discussion of this in the archives, if any.
Can somebody help me understand this? I would have expected the notes
to stay on their lines and spaces, but there is obviously more going
on than I thought.

[Readers of the list will realize this is related to the setting of
Ambrosian chant just raised in a post.]

Andrew

%====
\version "2.19.20"