Re: Unusual cross-staff stem in Bartók

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Unusual cross-staff stem in Bartók
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 09:22:32 -0500

Hi Arle,

> That did indeed help. It got me 90% of the way there. When I actually applied
> it in the piece I’m setting, I found that the length of the overridden stem
> was pushing the other staff away. It didn’t do this in the example you made,
> so I’m not sure what was interfering

You could always remove it from the spacing engine’s calculations:

\version "2.19.83"

ignoreH =
   \propertyTweak horizontal-skylines ##f
   \propertyTweak extra-spacing-width #empty-interval
   \etc

ignoreV =
   \propertyTweak vertical-skylines ##f
   \propertyTweak extra-spacing-height #empty-interval
   \etc

ignore = \ignoreH \ignoreV \etc

{
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff {
      bes'8[ <ces'' e''>]
    }
    \new Staff {
      \clef bass
      \voiceOne
      \autoBeamOff
      \crossStaff { \once \ignore Stem \tweak NoteColumn.X-offset #-1.175
\tweak Stem.length 7 bes8 s }
      \autoBeamOn

Hope that helps more!
Kieren.