Re: Word alignment

From: Peter Flynn
Subject: Re: Word alignment
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 09:57:19 +0000

On 2020-01-18 1:27 pm, Peter Flynn wrote:
Is it possible in lilypond to have the words of the lyrics
aligned so the start of the word is under the note or group,
rather than centered?
[...]

You should only need to change LyricText.self-alignment-X.
[snip]

Perfect, thank you so much. Could this perhaps be added to the 'Aligning lyrics to a melody' page at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/learning/aligning-lyrics-to-a-melody

It's actually documented as the last item in the section "Manual syllable durations" and again in the "Snippets" part of the section "Placing syllables horizontally", but only in the Notation
Reference, which seems appropriate to me.

Thanks, I missed that somehow.

Because LP now¹ sets lyrics by default with the syllables
centre-aligned except for melismas, where they're left-aligned,
there's no real point in introducing this construct in the Learning
Manual when almost nobody will need it.

Yes, definitely not in the Leaning Manual.

I hope you don't mind my asking why you want always left-aligned. It's quite unusual in my experience.

I'm doing this for someone who specifically requested it. In my own experience it's not uncommon in places like hymn books, especially where you have multiple lines of text per stave (verses; or in this case, different language translations) because the word syllable lengths per note can be very varied, and it makes it easier to sing from.

¹ the old behaviour, as in 2.18.2, was to set unassociated lyrics having manual durations as left-aligned. I always assumed it was just
an oversight awaiting correction, though I could be wrong.

I think it may be established practice in some less-common fields.

But no matter, LP triumphs again :-)